Friday, November 25, 2011

seeing through the leaves


Near our house is a great walk up a canyon that parallels a small creek. Despite frequent strolls up its path, on a recent trip the surroundings all looked new to me. I realized that the fallen leaves had revealed what was usually hidden. Immediately the walk that was so familiar to me became something new.

It is so easy to get caught up in a routine. Many of us are most comfortable with knowing exactly what is around the corner. Of course we know that fall is coming, and then prepare ourselves for winter, and clean up for spring. However seasons offer a time of change, something new. My daughter never lets me know what is around the corner. She presents new challenges and successes every day. Not quite as timely however, like seasons, she is always changing.

This year, the coming of fall decidedly brought a new attitude on my life as a mother and artist. It stretched blank canvases for a new body of work. It cleaned up my studio, posted ideas on the wall and helped me nestle in to what the next few months, the next season, had to offer. I am looking forward to what I will see through the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment